Stochastic Bookmark

abstruse unfinished commentary

about correspondence

5.3.16

an update of sorts

The end of the month brings the longlist for the Best Translated Book Award, and I've now got 40 of the eligibles under my belt (~30% of my reading overall), including those mentioned as not yet read in the middle of my prior post (except towards list's end), without substantively changing my assessment.

What I can add is:
Wakefield Press: Unica Zürn, The Trumpets of Jericho (Christina Svendsen), though only as a longlist longshot;
and José Eduardo Agualusa, A General Theory of Oblivion (Daniel Hahn) [Archipelago] also has a shot (cf TQC)

I should mention that, like Zambra's My Documents, Anne Garréta's Sphinx [Deep Vellum] has received much praise (though not so much from me, more than faint, less than swoon) (and I found Chudori's Home too melodidactic); but it's not my place to second-guess. Besides, there's so much I haven't read (just f'rinstance Makine via Graywolf) (or don't intend to: Daoud via Other, Knausgaard via Archipelago) that it's short odds the longlist will lengthen my reading list.
(for more speculation, see The Mookse and the Gripes forum)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home